A thoughtful and well written living trust estate plan can do a lot of things:
- Help your family avoid probate
- Make sure your assets are transferred to your loved ones in a timely and efficient manner
- Protect your children's inheritance from a divorcing spouse and lawsuit
- If needed, help your children make smart financial decisions with their inheritance
- Help you avoid a conservatorship if you become incapacitated
- Authorize your loved ones to make health care decisions for you if you can't
But what it cannot do is fix a broken family.
An estate plan is not magic. It cannot heal bad relationships. Only you can do that.
Living trust estate planning and the resulting trust administration cab be smooth and easy with a family that gets along. But even a good estate plan cannot prevent a dysfunctional family from fighting.
Do your best to make peace and keep the peace with your family. That's your real legacy.